Wednesday 9 January 2013

Talk about India, from India with you




Good morning/Good afternoon/Good evening my friends, wherever you are! This 8:00pm. 9th January, 2013, Wednesday in India. Wish you a very happy and prospures New Year to you all! Hope you all are doing well but I’m not! I met an accident on 2nd January and not very well still now! For that reason, I couldn’t post anything since last Wednesday! I still have a pain in my right hand and can’t type for long. So, this week I may post everything one by one.
Now tell me friends, how is your life in winter? In, West Bengal, after a long time winter is so cruel to us!!  But, people are enjoying this cold! Personally, I’m so happy with it! After 5days, here we are going to celebrate a grand festival – Poush Parban. In Bengal, it is one of the harvesting festivals. “Poush” being the name of the month.This festival is also meant to celebrate Makar Sankranti or Poush Sankranti — marking the sun's passage from Capricorn to Aquarius. Though Poush Parban is more of a rural festival, urban households in Bengal celebrate it too.


Various Pithey
Puli Pithey

 








This festival is also known as Pithey Parbon in Bengal. Pithey being a sweet made with basic agrarian ingredients of the region like rice, date palm etc.There are several varieties of Pithey known as Gokul Pithey, Ashkey Pithey, Shajer Pithey etc. Along with this, sweets like Pati Shapta, rice-flour crepes filled with khoya and coconut stuffing, Soru Chakli and many more are also made.  I will share all the recipies of pithey which I know, in the “Flavors of India” section very soon.
That’s all for today! Take very care of your families and yourselves! Have a good day/ afternoon/evening/night! Namaskar.

No comments:

Post a Comment