Upma (South Indian Breakfast)
- Semolina:- 1 cup
- Vegetables (small cube peices):- 2 cups
(Peas, carrots, potatoes, cauliflower,
tomatoes, capsicum, etc.)
- Mustard seeds:- 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves:- 5-6 pieces
- Cashew nut:- 2-3 pieces
- Green chillies (chopped):- 3-5 med
- Onions (chopped):- 1 med
- Refined Oil:- 1Cup
- Salt:- to taste
- Lemon juice (optional):- 2 tsp
- Dry-roast Semolina (suji) until it just begins to turn brown, then keep aside.
- In a large saucepan/wok, heat the cooking oil.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves; then wait for them to sputter. Then add green chillies and chopped onions and fry until onions caramelise.
- Add vegetables, salt and 2 cups of water, and bring to boil.
- Add the roasted samolina; turn down the heat, and mix quickly to avoid lumps forming.
- The upma is done when all the water is absorbed by the samolina.
- Garnish with grated coconut, cashew-nut and lemon juice.
- Serve hot as breakfast.