Flavors of India
Mutton Polao (Rice with Mutton)
Friends, an another 'Navami' delicacy presenting for you! Try it and enjoy!
- Mutton: 500gms
- Basmati rice: 500 gms
- Potato(medium size):- 2 pieces
- Onion (slice in fine pieces):- 3 pieces
- Ginger paste: - 2tablespoon
- Garlic paste :- 2tablespoo
- Tomato(slice in four pieces):- 1 piec
- Curd:- 1/2 cup
- Red Chili Powder (if you want):- 1/2teaspoon
- Kashmiri red Chili Powder:- 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder:- 1teaspoon
- Coriander Powder:- 1teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder:- 1/2teaspoon
- Bay leaves:- 2pieces
- Mustard / Refined Oil:- 1Cup(150gm)
- Sugar:- 1/5teaspoon
- Ghee:- 1teaspoon
- Salt:- to taste
For Polao Masala (Special spice)
- 1Cumin seeds:- 1 teaspoon
- 2Cinnamon stick:- 1 inch
- 3Cardamom:- 4pieces
- 4Cloves:- 5-6pieces
- 5Pepper:- 5-6 pieces
- 6Red chillies:- 2-4pieces
Roast all the on a pan, leave them for a while to cool down and them grind them to form a powder.
- Marinate the mutton with red chili, Kashmiri red chili, cumin, coriander and turmeric powders and salt while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Wash and soak the rice in water. Cut the potato in 4pieces and fry with turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and season it with bay leaves. Add the onions in it and fry till they are golden.
- Add the tomatoes, minced ginger and garlic to this and cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add the marinated mutton and let it cook for 5-7 minutes on low flame. Cover with a lid and cook on slow heat for few minutes.
- When it cooks 3/4th, add the Masala you have made and stir.
- Let it cook for another 5 minutes until oil starts leaving the sides of the meat. Then add the rice to the pan.
- The basic premise of this recipe is that the rice has to be fried with the meat so cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the beaten curd and potato and cook it for 2 to 3 minutes (not more).
- Add salt and 4 cups of water to it.
- Cover and let it cook for 10-15 minutes on low flame.
- Take it off when the rice well cooked.
- Drizzle spoonful ghee just before serving.
- You can garnish it with dry fruits but it is not mandatory.
- Serve hot with a salad and any chicken dish like Chicken Kasha or Masala (Spicey Chicken) or any vegetable dish like Aloor Dam (Potato Curry) on the side.
* You may use Pressure Cooker. In that case; cook the meat for the duration of 2 whistles.and 3 whistles after adding rice and potato.Rest of the recipe remain thsame.